The Town of La Plata's Finance Department is primarily responsible for managing the Town's fiscal resources. This includes development of the Town's budgets, management and investment of Town money, collecting amounts due to the Town, paying employees and vendors, and preparation of reports documenting the Town's financial activity and position, including but not limited to the annual audit. The department staff is also responsible for maintaining the Town's utility billing system. This includes the establishment and maintenance of utility accounts and the issuance of utility bills and collection of utility payments. The staff also assists with permit issuance and responds to general information inquiries.
Online Utility Billing
La Plata has been working to update its financial system, and is now pleased to offer utility customers the option of paying their bills using a credit card (VISA, MasterCard or Discover) or by authorizing the Town to automatically draft their payment from an account they designate each quarter.
Visit the Online Utility Billing page for additional information.
Utility Bills for the Period Ending September 30, 2020
On September 1, 2020, the Governor's Executive Order prohibiting service termination and late fees on utility accounts expired. The Mayor and Town Council of La Plata have carefully considered the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on residents. Upon this evaluation, the Town is offering its residential customers a transition period to make payment arrangements on past-due accounts.
The Town of La Plata will:
- Mail out utility bills for the period ending September 30, 2020, in October. These bills will include any previous unpaid balance.
- Delay service terminations until 45 days from receipt of a termination notice.
- Offer customers in arrears a payment plan of up to 12 months.
- Customers who enter into a payment plan within 45 days after receipt of a termination notice will not have service disconnected.
For more information please contact the Town of La Plata at 301-934-8421. To set up a payment plan, please contact the Town of La Plata at 301-934-8421.
- Payments may be dropped off at Town Hall in the secure drop box located in the front lobby on the left wall. Residents are encouraged to place their payments in a sealed envelope with the top portion of their bill included.
- Residents may pay by credit/debit card via online bill pay. Customers who use the online bill pay will not incur a credit/debit card transaction fee. The Town accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
- Payments can be made over the phone by calling Town Hall at 301-934-8421, Monday through Friday between 8 am and 4:30 pm. Customers who pay by phone will not incur a credit/debit card transaction fee. The Town accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
- Residents may also mail their payments to:
305 Queen Anne Street
P.O. Box 2268
La Plata, MD 20646
Should you have any questions concerning your bill, please call 301-934-8421, Monday through Friday between 8 am and 4:30 pm.
Bay Restoration Fund Fee Exemption
In accordance with the Maryland Bay Restoration Fund (BRF) law (HB 446/2012 Session), the Town of La Plata has established a BRF fee exemption plan (PDF) for residential water/sewer users based on financial hardship. Under the plan, homeowners that apply (PDF) and qualify, annually, will be exempted from paying the Bay Restoration Fee for a maximum of one fiscal year.