The Department of Planning is responsible for protecting public health, safety, and welfare by enforcing the Town's Code. In the performance of these duties, the Department issues permits and performs inspections for all construction and development-related activities within the Town of La Plata.
The following activities require permits:
- New Building Construction
- Interior Alterations - Adding, removing or replacing any walls, doors or windows etc.
- Replacement of columns, beams, joists, rafters or any other load-bearing components
- Solar Panels
- Roof Replacement
- Rental property
- Fire or storm damage
- Enclosing any existing structures (Carports, porches, and screened rooms for any purpose)
- Adding, altering or removing any electrical, plumbing or mechanical
- Use and Occupancy
The Town has prepared Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to assist applicants with the different permit processes.
- Schedule of Fees
- Major Facility Fees - Major Facility Fees are levied to partially finance capital improvements to the water and sanitary sewer systems due to increased demand upon the system as a result of new development. A major facility fee is required for any improvement that is to be served by the Town's water or sanitary sewer system. Please refer to the schedule of fees for the current major facility fee amount.
PlaChek Inc. performs inspections for the Town of La Plata including, but not limited to the following:
- Water Meters
- Water/Sewer Laterals
- Permanent Signs (Attached and Detached)
6C Industrial Park Drive
Waldorf, MD 20602
Phone: 301-870-8710 or 301-645-3302
To schedule a fire inspection please contact Southern Regional State Fire Marshal's Office at 443-550-6820.