Historic Preservation Commission
- 2nd Friday, Quarterly (March, June, September, December)
- Council Chambers
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Member information is located on the Town's Civic website.
Pursuant to the authority and provisions of the Land Use Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland (as amended), there is hereby created a Historic Preservation Commission for the Town of La Plata. this commission shall be known as the "La Plata Historic Preservation Commission" and is hereinafter referred to as the "Historic Preservation Commission" or the "Commission."
11-2 - Composition, membership and terms.
Ordinance 17-13 (as amended by Ordinance 22-03, eff. May 11, 2022)
- The Historic Preservation Commission shall consist of five members, and one alternate member who may sit on the commission when any other member of the commission is absent.
- Each member shall possess a demonstrated special interest, specific knowledge or professional or academic training in such fields as history, architecture, architectural history, planning, archeology, anthropology, curation, conservation, landscape architecture, historic preservation, urban design, engineering, cultural heritage or related disciplines.
- At least two members shall possess professional or academic training in one or more of the above-listed fields in accordance with the minimum professional requirements.
- The requirement for commission membership under the category of demonstrated special interest may be satisfied either by formal training in one or more of the fields listed above or active membership in a preservation-related organization. The requirements for membership under the category of specific knowledge may be satisfied by formal post-secondary education, employment or practical experience in one or more of the above listed fields. The requirements for commission membership under the category of professional or academic training may be satisfied by at a minimum, two years' experience as a professional or a bachelor's degree in one or more of the above listed fields.
- Commission members shall be appointed by the Mayor, with the approval of the Council. The term of each member so appointed shall be three years or until his or her successor is appointed.
There shall be no limit as to the number of consecutive terms member of the commission may serve.
- The Mayor shall appoint, with the approval of the remaining members of the Town Council, a member of the council to serve as a voting representative to the commission. The term of this representative shall correspond to his or her term as a member of the Town Council.
- The commission shall elect a chair and vice chair. The chairs shall serve for one-year terms and shall be eligible for reelection.
If you are interested in serving on a board, committee, or commission, please apply online and contact the Mayor or any member of the Council.
- Find us on Facebook! Museum openings, how to join our efforts, and other information of a historical nature
- La Plata Train Station Museum: Information on the La Plata Train Station Museum
- La Plata Firehouse Museum: General information on the La Plata Firehouse Museum
- Maryland Historic Preservation Society Training Handbook (PDF): What is historic preservation, and what do Historic Preservation Commissions do?