Household Recyclables

Household recyclables are collected by an independent contractor. See our Recycling Tips (PDF).

When is my recycling collection day?

  • West of Route 301 - Monday
  • East of Route 301 - Wednesday

Yard Waste

Consider mulching and composting instead of bagging yard waste. If this is not an option for you, residential yard waste pickups occur on non-holiday Mondays and Fridays. Leaves, grass and shrub clippings should be placed in paper yard-waste-specific bags only or containers clearly marked yard waste. Brush and/or branches must be bundled and weigh no more than 50 pounds per bundle, and branches should be no longer than 4 feet.

When is my yard waste collection day?

  • East of Train Tracks - Monday
  • West of Train Tracks - Friday

Loose Leaf Collection

October to December - Vacuum equipment must be able to reach leaves. Please rake to the curb for proper collection.


The Town offers recycling of old AA, AAA, C, D, 9-volt, cell phone and button batteries. Bring your old batteries to the Town Hall and place them in the designated container in the front lobby. We'll ensure they are properly disposed of.

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Materials should be kept in their original containers and brought to the collection site in cardboard boxes. Collection of HHW is a contracted service. Items will not be accepted if the contractor is not on site.

Items Accepted

Pesticides, herbicides, fertilizer, and other poisonous substances, gasoline, motor oil, antifreeze, paint, cleaning supplies, pool chemicals, and batteries.

Drop-Off Location

Charles County Department of Public Works, located at 10430 Audie Lane. This service is available on the first Saturday of the month from 9 am - 3 pm.

For more information, and to verify dates, call the Charles County Department of Public Facilities, Environmental Resources Division at 301-932-3599.

Prescription Drugs

Take items to any of the Charles County Sheriff's Offices. The Sheriff's Office will ensure medicines are disposed in a hazardous waste incinerator. The Sheriff's Office accepts tablet, capsule and other solid forms of prescription and non-prescription medication, pet medication, and vitamins. Intravenous solutions, injectables, and syringes are not accepted.

Charles County Sheriff's Office, District I
6855 Crain Highway
La Plata, MD 20646
Phone: 301-932-2222